The internet can be a fantastic place for children where they can talk to friends, learn and have fun. However, just like in the real world it is important that we are taught how to act safely and responsibly whilst online.
Here are some tips to help your child stay safe online
Enjoy going online together - The best way to keep your family safe online is to use technology and the internet together.
• Start the conversation early about staying safe online in order to establish positive behaviour and routines early in a child’s life.
• Supervise your child's use – Childnet International recommends that you always supervise a young child when they are online.
• Ensure your child knows how to stay safe online and what to do if they see something upsetting.
• Consider the quality and quantity of online activities and establish clear boundaries including time spent online, where and when devices can be used.
• Make use of parental controls and filters which can be used on your home internet, devices and online services such as Netflix and YouTube.
• Choose age appropriate apps and games - be aware of the age rating.
• Know where to report- reports can be made to websites through their safety/help centres. If you’re suspicious about someone who contacts your child online report them to the Child Exploitation and Online Protection Command.
Make sure you read the resources and website links below which include a guide for parents to help keep your child safe online, and also some general advice on safety.